It’s been around two years since my mother, Kathy, passed away after an extended battle with lung cancer. Last year, I posted what I missed about her. To start a new tradition, I’m going to tell her what she’s missed in the past year.
- Tommie completed a special freshman year in Track by landing on the podium in both the 4x800 (5th) and the open 800 (8th). Grandpa and Kevin were both there to cheer her on.
- Cindy and I got to take care of a family of chipmunks in our attic. You would have been rolling on the floor laughing with the stories of these damn chipmunks and our attempts at getting rid of them.
- Cindy, Tommie, Joey, Mattie, Carol, David, Lindsey, and I all went to the Outer Banks for vacation. Lots of hanging out in the sun and relaxing both at the beach and by the pool.
- Oh yeah, the Cavs won the NBA Championship! This was amazing to see!
- Your beloved Indians ended up winning 14 straight games, setting up what would be a very special year. More to come on this one.
- David’s 32nd birthday. Nothing crazy here, just a notable event.
- Your 53rd birthday. I missed you like crazy.
- Our two-year anniversary! Pretty wonderful two years of marriage. She’s everything you ever wanted to me to have in a partner.
- Mattie took her first recorded steps! This was seriously so cool.
- David proposed to Lindsey (finally!). You’re getting another daughter in the family!
- Mattie’s first Halloween! She was a strawberry, and she looked so adorable.
- Your beloved Indians made the World Series!!! They unfortunately lost in Game 7 to the Cubs (seriously, not joking here), but it was a magical season for them.
- Tommie turns 16! It’s crazy that she’s driving now!
- I bought a new car after years with Gerard. You would have loved cruising around in it. I named him Freddie after Grandpa.
- Spent a week in sunny California for the first time ever.
- Donald Trump got elected President. I would have loved to hear your reaction on this one.
- Had Thanksgiving lunch at Dick and Becky’s, and then Thanksgiving dinner with Cindy’s family. Missed you a lot here.
- Ohio State beat Michigan, again. The club would have been delighted, and you would have worked your butt off and loved every minute of it.
- Mattie turns 1! We were surrounded by friends and family, smothered by love.
- I went paintballing for the first time ever. It’s sort of like laser tag, but with pain. I’m not sure if it’s fun, but you would’ve loved to hear about it.
- Christmas Eve at Grandma and Grandpa’s house. This is the hardest day of the year for me.
- Christmas Day with Cindy’s family. Lots of fun and laughter.
- Joey turns 15! One more year until he’s on the road!
- Went to SkyZone for Joey’s birthday. It’s a giant room of trampolines. Heck of a workout, but it was a lot of fun!
- Mattie pooped on the floor. You would’ve laughed your socks off.
- I contributed to my first open source project. You have no idea what this means, but you would have been excited for me.
- Mattie’s first visit to the Cleveland Zoo! She loved all the animals, but especially the elephants.
- My 31st birthday. Missed you a lot, again.
- Cindy and I announced to the world that we’re pregnant again! It’ll be another little girl. It just kills me that you never got to meet your granddaughters. They will know all about you, though.
- I started my high school coaching career, helping with the Track and Field team at Cloverleaf as a throwing coach. I loved every minute of it.
- Nothing too major here, but Mattie is just growing up in front of me so fast. I would love relate the way she is with the way that David and I were with you. She looks so much like David did as a baby.
- Tommie’s sophomore year of Track ends with some disappointment, but I am so proud of the runner and person she’s become. You would have loved coming to the meets to watch her run, just like you came to my meets to watch me throw.
I am certain that I missed things in the list, but that’s all I’ve got so far. I miss you every day, Mom.